Monday, February 9, 2009

Home at last

My friend, John Nesheim, was able to go home for a visit yesterday. Regions Hospital released him for about seven hours and he was able to wheel his way around the house and visit with family.

According to his wife, Maureen, he is scheduled to go home for good on Wednesday. He has progressed very well after the surgery to amputate his feet Jan. 26 and is ready to leave the hospital. But, he and his family will face many challenges once he gets home.

One of them is making the house wheelchair accessible. It's a one-story home, so that helps. Then, he will have to figure out what to do about work. He did used car sales before his accident Jan. 19 and it looks like he may not be able to continue that. Maureen says it will be at least six months before he'll be able to work.

I got a chance to sit down with John last week and talk more about the two days he was stranded in the ravine at Battle Creek Regional Park in St. Paul three weeks ago and what God did in his life during that time and afterward at Regions Hospital. It is a compelling story and it is the subject of my monthly outdoors column, which will appear in this week's edition of The Catholic Spirit (Feb. 12).

I don't recall the last time I felt nervous about writing a story, but I did before sitting down at the computer this morning to put this one together. There's so much to tell and it's so personal. I want to do a good job and I want God to be glorified and John and Maureen to be honored. John is a dear friend of mine and I continue to be very grateful that he is alive. I told John and Maureen that I want to bring over a venison dinner after they get settled in at home and I plan on keeping my promise.

I also look forward to the opportunity to help John go deer hunting either this year or next. That would be a great thing to see happen.

No comments: