Monday, February 2, 2009

A break from hospital food

A beautiful, 46-degree day Saturday turned my thoughts to the grill. I thawed some venison steaks and stood careful watch on the Weber to cook them to perfection.

Then, after feeding my family, I set one grilled steak aside to bring to my friend, John Nesheim. I figured that he would welcome a home-cooked meal after almost two weeks of eating hospital food. I called him and he was, indeed, up for some venison. I brought it down to Regions Hospital and presented it to him. I don't know if it was allowed or not, but I decided to take the risk.

John and his wife, Maureen, shared it and liked it. I was glad. When someone you know and love is experiencing something as traumatic as recovering from having both feet amputated, you want to do anything you can to provide some comfort. I hope to do it again soon, although John is going to be going home this month. He's starting his rehab now and will continue when he gets home.

The hospital staff wasted no time engaging him in vigorous and, at times, painful physical therapy. It's good for him, they say. And, anyone who knows him or has heard of his situation should pray for God's grace so that he can make progress in therapy. In the meantime, I have plenty of venison in my freezer to share with him.

No comments: